The beginnings of military training at Vyškov garrison date back to the times of increasing threats for Czechoslovakia posed by fascist Germany after Hitler assumed power in 1933. On 1st November 1935, Training Camp Command was established in Dědice near Vyškov and placed in Ferdinandsko Manor House in the training area. The Training Camp was an independent facility subordinated to the Headquarters of 3rd Army Corps.
In September 1935, in the Czechoslovak Army, there were three regiments of Offensive Vehicles in Milovice, Martin and Vyškov. On 1st October 1937, Offensive Vehicles School started its life in Vyškov and, at the same time, the garrison town of Vyškov became a military schooling town. Infantry Colonel, Alexander Fusek was appointed the first commander of the Offensive Vehicles School. The last commander of the school was Colonel Josef Morávek who, immediately after the occupation, joined the resistance organization Defending the Nation. Later, he was arrested by Germans and killed in Kaunic’s Hall of Residence in Brno in December 1939.
German occupation period
The school was terminated on 27th June 1939 and thus, not only did the existence of Offensive Vehicles School finish but so did the entire Czechoslovak Army. Instantly after the occupation, the German Army took over the existing facilities and significantly enlarged the training area which was used throughout the entire duration of the war. Two Warrant Officers Schools of Wehrmacht – one for tank commanders, the other one for armored vehicles commanders were set up on the premises.
Post-war development to 1989
After the war, military schooling was gradually restored, with the Military Academy in Hranice being in the forefront. In 1946, also the Tank Training School in Milovice was in existence, which, like the Offensive Vehicles School 10 years earlier, was relocated to the Training Camp Dědice near Vyškov.
- In 1947, Two-year Officers School of Tank Corps was established. Within it, Reserve Officers School of Tank Corps and Application Courses for officers of tank corps were introduced.
- On 1st October 1950, Tank Military Academy was founded which became part of the Tank Training School in Vyškov and on 12th September 1952, the Training School was renamed to Tank Training School of Klement Gottwald.
- Colonel František Řeřábek became the first commander of the Tank Training School in 1947. Colonel Jan Cihlář was the last commander of the School.
- On 1st September 1958, Military Training School of USSR Hero Captain Otakar Jaroš was formed.
- On 1st June 1961, new Higher Military Training School of USSR Hero Otakar Jaroš was founded in Vyškov.
- In September 1961, in the school, there were 337 officers, 91 warrant officers, 59 Reserve Officers School graduates, 380 students, 315 Reserve Officers School students and 1 008 soldiers in national service. The school commander was General František Bedřich from 1957 to 1964. General Pavel Papač became his successor.
- On 1st August 1967, The Training School was integrated into “Command and Organizing Faculty“ of Military Academy of Antonín Zápotocký Brno, located in Vyškov. It offered a four-year course and graduates were awarded the academic degree “inženýr”. The faculty chief was Major-General Oldřich Kvapil. He was removed from office in 1969 and the command of the faculty was entrusted to Colonel František Herodek.
- On 28th June 1972, the Command and Organizing Faculty in Vyškov was transformed into Military University of Ground Forces of Captain Otakar Jaroš. The command of the university was given to Colonel František Herodek. On 31st October 1972, Major-General Jozef Jurík took over the command.
- In 1975, the name of the university was changed to Military University of Ground Forces of Triple Hero of CSSR and Hero of USSR Army General Ludvík Svoboda. In 1976, Major-General Václav Roučka took over the command of the university and in October 1981, Major-General Zdeněk Havala acceded to office. In February 1990, the command of the university was entrusted to Colonel Vladimír Michálek who was then replaced by Major-General Jiří Šrámek in August 1990. The first elected University Chancellor was Colonel Kamil Kollert.
Development after 1989
On 1st September 1993, Military High School of King Jan Lucemburský was founded in Vyškov. Its commander was Colonel Dušan Chovanec.
On 1st July 1996, Military Academy in Vyškov was established and designed as a departmental school of Ministry of Defence for training of servicemen destined to perform basic commanding and staff posts. The first commander post of the Academy was held by Colonel Vladimír Sova.
On 1st April 2003, the 4th Command for Training and Creation of Doctrines was set up. Military Academy and Simulation and Trainer Technologies Centre with their branches in Brno and Vyškov were subordinated to it. Brigadier-General Jiří Halaška became its commander.
On 1st December 2003, the 4th Command for Training and Creation of Doctrines was restructured and renamed to the Directorate for Training and Creation of Doctrines. Brigadier-General Jiří Halaška was appointed its director and later, in 2005, it was Brigadier-General František Maleninský.
On 1st September 2004, University Of Defence was formed in Brno as a result of the integration of Military University of Ground Forces in Vyškov, Military Academy in Brno and Military Medical Academy of Jan Evangelista Purkyně in Hradec Králové.
On 1st April 2005, historically, the very first training of military professionals was started.
On 1st January 2009, Training Command – Military Academy was established. Colonel GS Jaromír Zůna became its commander. On 2nd August 2010, Colonel GS Ján Kožiak took command and on 28th October 2013, he was promoted to the rank of Brigadier-General.